It's been a rough few weeks. Work has been the main cause (those of you who have read my previous posts know why) and then just normal little life-stresses thrown on top of it have made me a bit depressed.
I have found out that I'm definitely still employed (YAY!) Unfortunately, it comes with an 8% cut in pay, no holiday pay (unless I actually work the holiday, then I get the normal time and a half), no annual leave, no sick leave, no paid time off of any kind, and no 401k. They had no policies, procedures, protocols, or standing orders that even came close to what we need, so we had to help them develop all of them. It's glaringly obvious that they truly have no clue what they're in for. And that they haven't the slightest idea how these facilities work. Juvenile corrections is a totally different nursing world. End of story. You can't just put any nurse in these facilities. This is not a run-of-the-mill medical unit that any competent nurse could staff; it takes a really special sort of nurse. Plus, you're always on your toes cause we work with some cunning, manipulative, conniving little souls. I do care for these kids dearly, but you can't forget what landed them there in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I really am glad to have a job. I know how lucky I am to have one in this terrible economy. I also know how lucky I am to have a job that I love (having had a job that I loathe). I'm just really perturbed right now about all of the cuts I'm taking to keep it. I won't quit because of it, I won't cut corners or put in anything less than my normal 100%. In fact, my goal is that the staff, facilities and kids I take care of won't even notice the change-over when it takes place tomorrow.
The one thing I'm certain of is that all 7 of our nurses are staying with the new company, and I have complete faith in our ability (as a team) to make this work. We are an amazing group of nurses and this new company can't ever change that.
No comments:
Post a Comment